Cross-gaming, also known as cross-platform play has become so popular, as players get to play together with their friends in spite of having different streaming platforms. While it offers numerous benefits, such as expanding the player base and enabling seamless collaboration, cross-gaming also presents some challenges.
Most of these common challenges include technical limitations. However, players may leverage proxy servers to overcome these challenges and enhance their crossplay experience.
What are the benefits and challenges of cross-playing?
Cross-gaming, or cross-platform play, is the ability to play video games with other people who are using different gaming platforms. Crossplaying games have come out strong in recent years, as more and more games are supporting cross-play.
There are many benefits to cross-gaming. For one, it allows you to play with your friends who don’t have a similar streaming platform to you. Now you don’t have to worry that your friends don’t have the same computer or device as you. Cross-gaming can also help to increase the player base for a game. The game automatically earns popularity when players from different platforms stream together.
There are some challenges to cross-gaming. One challenge is that not all games support cross-play. As it can be technically not possible to implement cross-play, and there is a heavy requirement of time and money to make this happen. Another challenge is that cross-gaming can sometimes lead to cheating. This is because it can be difficult to analyze players using different platforms for cheating or not.
A proxy server can help overcome several crossplay challenges by switching regions (Crossplay can sometimes result in players being matched with others from different regions, leading to higher ping and latency issues). In addition, a proxy server may also help bypass IP bans, improve connection stability, enhance privacy and security, and also access region-locked content. If you have a PS4, you may want to learn what is a Proxy Server on PS4 and how to set it up.
Here are 2023’s top games that support cross-play:
- Fortnite: Fortnite is a popular action game where players have to compete till the last to win the game. It features building mechanics, intense gunplay, and regular updates that keep the gameplay fresh. It is a cross-platform game, allowing players to enjoy the action on PC, consoles, and mobile devices, and participate in matches with friends across different platforms.
- Minecraft: Minecraft is a sandbox adventure game where you build and generate buildings in 3D world. With its creative mode and survival challenges, players can unleash their imagination or test their survival skills. Minecraft is a cross-platform game, ensuring that players can collaborate and explore with friends on various devices, including PC, consoles, mobile, and more.
- Rocket League: Rocket League is a unique blend of soccer and vehicular acrobatics, where you have to be a master at controlling the cars you ride to score goals. Its fast-paced gameplay and competitive nature have garnered a massive following. Being a cross-platform game, players can compete or team up with friends seamlessly, regardless of their platform, including PC, consoles, and Nintendo Switch.
- Call of Duty: Warzone: Warzone is another amazing survival game set in the iconic Call of Duty universe. It’s also free-to-play. It pits squads against each other in intense and tactical firefights. The game supports cross-platform play, enabling players on different systems, such as PC, PlayStation, and Xbox, to join forces and battle together in the ultimate fight for survival.
- Apex Legends: Apex Legends is a popular hero-based battle royale game that features diverse characters with unique abilities, adding a strategic layer to the fast-paced action. Players team up in squads to compete for victory. It is a cross-platform game, allowing players across PC, PlayStation, Xbox, and even Nintendo Switch to form squads and dominate the battlefield.
- Destiny 2: Destiny 2 is a sci-fi first-person shooter with an expansive open-world experience, offering captivating cooperative and competitive gameplay. As a cross-platform game, players can join forces with friends on various platforms, including PC, PlayStation, Xbox, and Google Stadia, to explore the universe, take on challenges, and conquer foes.
- Borderlands 3: Borderlands 3 is a hilarious and action-packed looter-shooter game with a rich co-op experience. Players team up to take on enemies, complete missions, and uncover the secrets of the unpredictable world of Pandora. As a cross-platform game, friends can seamlessly join forces across PC, PlayStation, and Xbox to embark on this chaotic and thrilling adventure.
- Smite: Smite is a third-person multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game that features a diverse roster of mythological gods and goddesses engaging in epic battles. With its cross-platform play, players on PC, PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo Switch can form teams and clash in intense god vs. god combat, each bringing their unique skills and strategies to the battlefield.
Here are some things to keep in mind when cross-gaming:
- Make sure that the game you want to play supports cross-play. The list provided above shows the most popular cross-play games in 2023.
- Check the system requirements for the game to make sure that your platform can handle it.
- Be aware of the potential for cheating when cross-playing with people from other platforms.
It is important to note that cross-play games can potentially lead to IP bans for the following few reasons cheating and hacking attempts, account sharing, smurfing, toxic behavior, or region knocks.
If your IP has been unfairly banned from a game, you may still be able to play cross-play with friends on other platforms. However, you will not be able to join games that are hosted on the banned server. Learn what to do, if your IP has been banned.
In 2023, numerous top games embrace cross-play, fostering a thriving gaming community across platforms. Titles like Fortnite, Minecraft, and Rocket League break barriers, allowing players to team up and compete regardless of their chosen platform.
Yet, players should stay informed about supported cross-play games, system requirements, and potential technical challenges like IP bans. By using proxy servers and following best practices, gamers can unlock the full potential of crossplay and enjoy a seamless and enriching gaming experience with friends worldwide.